When it comes to those extra cold days of winter, natural shearling makes for the perfect outerwear choice. A guy’s guy kind of material, shearling is cozy, exceptionally warm and ultra luxurious—not to mention, it can easily be made to complement an array of refined aesthetics, from sophisticated and modern to rugged, sleek and classic.
Read on to learn the benefits and care instructions for shearling:
IT LOOKS COOLER THE MORE YOU WEAR IT
Shearling offers a way for guys to wear a more luxurious material that doesn’t feel precious. Better yet, years from now it will have aged beautifully, unlike that puffer jacket of questionable quality.
IT’S NATURALLY COMFORTABLE
Lightweight and luxuriously supple, sheepskin is one of nature’s greatest sources of insulation. Its soft wool fibers are naturally breathable yet insulating, keeping you from getting too hot, cold or wet. Talk about year-round comfort!
IT’S EASY TO TAKE CARE OF
When cared for properly, a quality sheepskin garment can be a luxurious, lifelong investment in comfort and style.
Here are some surefire tips for caring for shearling:
- Store away from direct sunlight.
- Never store in unbreathable bags such as plastic ones.
- Keep away from high heat sources such as blow dryers and radiators.
- Use tweezers to pick away debris.
- Do not rub or brush sheepskin when it’s wet.
- When wet, just let the jacket air-dry.
- Clean the item in spring and clean clean it well (by a professional), then forget about it until next season. Winter solvents and salt will accumulate on the garment, if not removed, will slowly destroy it.
IT WORKS FOR DIFFERENT STYLES
A shearling can take you through both elegant and more off-duty occasions. And with the multitude of options this season, many men can surely find a shearling to suit their style.
DON’T ‘FUR’GET ABOUT FAUX
Faux shearling looks and feels real—but the environmentally-friendly fur is made from synthetic material. The style alternative is trending these days, popping up more in top designer brands and street style wear.
Faux shearling is way less expensive than real sheepskin. And, this a manmade product can actually be warmer, softer and thicker than the natural version.
Since most faux shearling is 100% acrylic, it can be cleaned by hand or thrown into the washing machine. So wave goodbye to those dry cleaning bills.